Saturday 19 April 2014

The strangest Swiss rolly kind of cake ever

This is a strange one - I wanted to try and re-create the white sponge with glace icing and sprinkles we had at school, a request from Joel. So I started researching into how to make a very light, plain sponge - this cake didn't have much flavor but it is just great and makes me feel all nostalgic. I found a recipe on another blog which looked very interesting - the method was so whacky I just had to try it. The result wasn't exactly what I had imagined, firstly, I remembered when I got it out of the oven that this cake is more of a tray bake anyway - I had just baked mine in a round tin... Secondly, it tasted like Swiss Roll sponge - which I do really like and with the icing poured on top and some fabulous sprinkles I am thoroughly enjoying making my way through this sponge this evening, on the eve of Easter Sunday.
The method - This is what drew me in, (and the fact it uses 6 eggs!) you mix the yolks and other ingredients together and set aside. You then whisk the egg whites and sugar - like meringue, to form soft peaks.

You then fold the meringue mixture into the yolk mixture and bake. This recipe is definitely one to experiment with - it has intrigued me.


Anyway if, for some reason you want to give this sponge a go and taste the weirdness - I followed the recipe exactly from Colleen's page Heavenly Palate. There is a strong possibility that I did something wrong but who knows - I still like it and here is how mine turned out. - For the icing, I just used a simple Glace icing - Mix sifted icing sugar with a few teaspoons of boiling water and mix and pour over the cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment