Saturday 26 April 2014

Iced Easter Muffins

Yes, iced muffins... Muffins are, in fact, exceedingly good when they're iced, or maybe that's just me having an addiction to butter frosting? Anyway I used my muffin recipe because I prefer it to any cupcake recipe I have come across - (I'm not actually a HUGE cupcake fan - but they are just so pretty). Obviously these little gems needed to be iced and decorated because it's Easter and I searched the whole of the county to find Mini-Eggs so close to Easter Sunday. (Next year I am going to stock up when they hit the stores in February!)



Ok, this muffin recipe is my absolute favorite - it's from Bakerella and when I stumbled upon it I had to try it - I have never found a muffin recipe that taste's and feels like proper muffins. I have converted the measurements into grams and ml for us English folk who don't use US cups!


So, if I am using regular cupcake cases this recipe makes 12 and if I want proper, huge, gorgeous muffin sized muffins it makes 9. (These Easter cakes are the larger variety)


You will need:
192g Plain Flour
100g Sugar
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
177ml OR 175g Sour Cream
60ml Milk
2 Eggs
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract 
57g Unsalted Butter melted and cooled slightly
150g Chocolate Chunks

Preheat your oven to 180°
In a bowl (not your KitchenAid bowl) sift the dry ingredients and combine



In a Stand Mixer or separate bowl stir wet ingredients until combined.



Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine.

























Add your chocolate chunks - I find a mix of white and dark is THE best combination but of course you can add whatever you fancy to muffins.



I bake them for 18 minutes but this will vary with your oven, usually 18-20 minutes - keep an eye on them








Yes muffins are fabulous like this, hot out of the oven but like I said it's Easter and that means Mini-Egg decoration...




For the Frosting - I just used buttercream, I don't have a recipe I use for buttercream because I think it completely depends how you like it - and what it is going onto. If you like it light and fluffy - make sure you cream the butter for a good 5-10 minutes in a stand mixer. If you like it more solid and crunchy - keep your cakes in the fridge (I love icing straight from the fridge) If you it rich - add some melted chocolate and cream with the butter and icing sugar. I usually add a tablespoon or two of full fat milk too.


And these are my Iced Easter muffins with plenty of frosting and Mini-Eggs - Heaven.








No comments:

Post a Comment