Saturday 3 May 2014

Simple Profiteroles With White Chocolate Cream

Every Sunday me and the other half go to my mum's for dinner - which is always a fabulous roast may I add. Anyway, she pretends she cant make puddings but she makes fab puddings. She also pretends she doesn't enjoy making puddings but again she does really! Which is why I rarely get to do it. Anyway, I got in there first last Sunday, - not that I knew what I was going to make. I REALLY wanted to try making Profiteroles because it's a challenge, I have never tried it and heard many horror stories. But I LOVE a challenge. 

Choux Pastry - a scary thought but I was pleasantly surprised and much too excited  when they came out of the oven, cooled, and didn't go flat! I thank Nigella. After the incredible Lemon Cake (which I have made 3 times in the last week!) I felt I should go to her for the profiterole recipe after I had done some Choux research! Although the Hot Chocolate Sauce which was also a Nigella recipe was way too thick to pour over the profiteroles but this is just trail and error to find your perfect chocolate sauce.
Instead of just piping cream into the gorgeously light little buns, (I'm not a huge lover of cream) I jazzed it up by  making it white chocolate cream - now that's my kind of cream.

So, here is the recipe I used for the buns. You will need:
75g Unsalted Butter
175ml Water
1/2 tsp Salt
100g Plain Flour
4 Eggs

Preheat your oven to 200c and line a baking sheet with baking paper.

Sift the flour into a bowl. Put the butter, water and salt into a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted, bring to the boil and then remove from the heat.





Add all of the sifted flour into the saucepan and whisk vigorously until the batter comes away from the sides of the pan. 

Return the pan to a very low heat and beat for 30 seconds more to dry the batter out.

Add 3 of the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after you add each one. Beat the last egg in a small bowl and add to the dough until soft and shiny.




Now, Nigella puts the dough into a piping bag and squeezes the dough out onto the baking sheet - which I followed, however, this was extremely messy as my dough was very wet. Next time I will just scoop the dough onto a baking sheet - which I later read sometimes gives a nicer finish to the buns anyway. Make sure you allow room for spreading. 
I find this is the best way to fill a piping bag: pop it in a glass and fold the top over - 



This is where the messiness began:




Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden - if you're not sure if they are cooked inside, take one out of the oven, tear it in half and check the consistency inside - if it's still wet, put them in for a little longer otherwise they will sink when they start to cool.

Poke a hole in the bottom of each bun when it comes out of the oven to let the steam out so that they do not sweat. - This will later be the hole you pipe cream in to.



For the White Chocolate Cream you will need:
450ml Double Cream
75-100g White Chocolate
3 tbsp Icing Sugar

Melt the white chocolate and leave to cool down - about 10-15 mins.

Whip the icing sugar and cream into a stand mixer (you can also use a hand mixer) and beat until soft peaks - I did beat for a little longer to get a better whipped effect, like you would normally find in a profiterole. Add the cooled melted chocolate and whip to combine.

Put the cream into a piping bag and pipe into the steam holes of your profiteroles.

Stack the profiteroles up and drizzle with your favorite chocolate sauce. - You're a kitchen goddess!












No comments:

Post a Comment